Security agencies in Yemen's Hadramaut province have been ordered to track down the perpetrators of a Tuesday (May 26th) act of terrorism that killed the Shibam security chief and his four aides, and bring them to justice.
The attack, involving an improvised explosive device (IED), targeted the vehicle of Shibam security chief 1st Lt. Saleh Abdullah bin Ali Jabir and his aides while they were on duty in the Hawtat Ahmed bin Zain area of Shibam.
Hadramaut governor Maj. Gen. Faraj al-Bahsani issued a statement mourning Jabir and his aides, along with an order that the perpetrators be tracked down.
He also stressed the need to speed up the implementation of security plans in the southern province to "preserve security and stop the flood of deaths which is reaping the souls of our people in Hadramaut Valley".
"The local authorities in Hadramaut condemn the targeting of security and military commanders, tribal chiefs and civilians in Hadramaut Valley," he said.
He urged the community, dignitaries and tribal chiefs in Hadramaut Valley and Desert to help preserve security in their areas by "unifying their ranks and reporting illegal activities to help stop the spilling of blood in the Valley".
Shibam director-general Abdul Wahab bin Ali Jabir told Al-Mashareq the incident is being classified as a terror attack, because it targeted a military crew while they were conducting a security campaign.
The security personnel had been involved in the implementation of measures to curb the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), he said.
He offered his assurances that "security agencies, represented by the criminal investigation and intelligence, are searching for the perpetrators to arrest them and bring them to justice".