Egyptian security forces killed 10 militants in an exchange of fire and arrested 400 suspects, including foreigners, as part of a major anti-terrorism campaign focused on Sinai that was launched last week, Egypt's Ahram Online reported Tuesday (February 13th).
This was the sixth communiqué released by the Egyptian Armed Forces since Operation Sinai 2018 was launched on Friday morning.
The announcement brings to 39 the number of militants the army said were killed over the past five days of its massive operation.
Egypt launched Operation Sinai 2018, involving land, naval and air forces, as well as the police and border guards, to target "terrorist and criminal elements and organisations" in northern and central Sinai, as well as parts of the Nile Delta and the Western Desert.
Police and army units have "eliminated an extremely dangerous terrorist cell consisting of 10 takfiris hiding in a house in the city of al-Arish after an exchange of fire with the raiding forces, and seized quantities of weapons, ammunition and explosive devices that were in their possession", the communiqué said.
Four hundred criminals and suspects, including foreigners, have been arrested, it said.