The "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant" (ISIL) on Tuesday (December 20th) claimed responsibility for a Sunday attack at a popular tourist destination in Jordan's Karak that killed 10 people, including policemen and a Canadian, AFP reported.
On Tuesday, gunmen killed a Jordanian policeman and wounded another in a shootout in Karak after security forces launched a raid in search of suspects linked to Sunday's attack, a security source said, adding that the operation was ongoing.
ISIL claimed Sunday's attack in a statement, saying the four attackers had been targeting Jordanian security forces and citizens of the international coalition battling the group in Syria and Iraq.
Sunday's shooting, in which gunmen opened fire on police patrols and a police station in the southern city, also wounded 34 people, including a second Canadian, authorities said.
Jordanian authorities said four gunmen were shot dead by police during a siege that lasted several hours in the city's historic castle.
On Monday, Jordanian police said they found suicide belts and other explosives in the hideout of the suspects behind the Karak attack.