The Iran-backed Houthis (Ansarallah) have blocked the UN from accessing vital food aid near the Yemeni city of al-Hodeidah, AFP reported Tuesday (April 2nd).
More than 100 workers were denied access to the Red Sea Mills warehouse, according to a source in the Arab coalition backing the Yemeni government.
"Unfortunately, the Houthis have decided to once again renege on a previous commitment, denying the team access to the mills," the source said.
In February, a team from the UN's World Food Programme (WFP) visited the Red Sea mills warehouse for the first time since September, when it became inaccessible due to the conflict between pro-government forces and the Houthis.
The WFP said laboratory tests confirmed the wheat had been infested with insects and had to be fumigated if it was to be used to feed millions of people.
WFP spokesman Herve Verhoosel said Tuesday the mission planned by the UN agency to the Red Sea mills was postponed due to "security reasons".
Before the UN lost access in September, the Red Sea Mills held 51,000 tonnes of grain, which was enough to feed more than 3.7 million people for a month.