Lebanese army arrests suspect over links to Tripoli's June attack

The Lebanese army on Tuesday (October 8th) arrested in the northern city of Tripoli a man suspected of being involved in June’s Tripoli terror attack that left two policemen and two soldiers killed, the National News Agency reported.

A Lebanese army patrol raided the residence of Sheikh Kanaan Naji in Tripoli’s neighbourhood of Abi Samra and arrested him, Lebanon's Naharnet reported.

Judge Marcel Bassil issued the warrant in relation to the case of gunman and suicide attacker Abdul Rahman Mabsout, who carried out the crime.

Using a motorcycle, Mabsout in June fired on police and army vehicles in different parts of Tripoli killing two police officers and two soldiers and wounding several others before blowing himself up later when confronted by troops.

LBCI TV station said Mabsout was a former "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria" (ISIS) member who had fought with the extremist group in Syria. It said he had been detained when he returned to Lebanon in 2016 and was released a year later.

Naji was transferred to the Military Court in Beirut for interrogation.

Do you like this article?
0
NO

0 COMMENT(S)

COMMENT POLICY
Captcha