Yemen separatists say ready for Saudi-brokered peace talks
The head of Yemen's separatist movement said he was ready to take part in Saudi-brokered peace talks after clashes with pro-government forces killed dozens in Aden, AFP reported Monday (August 12th).
Southern Transitional Council (STC) leader Aidarus al-Zubaidi also said late Sunday that he was committed to a ceasefire in Aden, where the separatists have seized the presidential palace and army camps.
Last week's fighting pitted the Security Belt Force dominated by fighters who back the STC -- which seeks independence for south Yemen -- against loyalist forces.
Al-Zubaidi voiced the "readiness" of separatists "to work responsibly with... Saudi Arabia in managing this crisis" and to "attend the meeting called by the kingdom of Saudi Arabia with full openness".
"We renew our commitment to continue the ceasefire" which the coalition called for on Saturday, he added.
Both the Yemeni government and separatists said Sunday they backed Riyadh's call for dialogue and a suspension of the fighting, which threatened to deepen the country's humanitarian crisis.
There have been no reports of clashes since then.
Since the fighting flared on Thursday, around 40 people have been killed and 260 others wounded including civilians, according to the UN.