Saudi Arabia welcomes FIFA action on World Cup pirate broadcasters
Saudi Arabia on Thursday (July 12th) welcomed FIFA's move towards legal action in the country over pirate broadcasters illegally showing World Cup matches, AFP reported.
Football's governing body said Wednesday it was preparing to take legal action over pirate channel beoutQ broadcasting games during the month-long tournament.
"FIFA urges the authorities of Saudi Arabia and of the different countries where these illegal activities have been observed to support us in the fight against piracy," the body said in a statement.
Saudi Arabia said it had made "relentless efforts" to tackle beoutQ and welcomed FIFA's decision to get lawyers in the kingdom onto the case.
"If FIFA has legitimate claims supported by reliable evidence, it can expect to receive justice at the hands of the independent courts of our nation consistent with" Saudi law, the country's media ministry said in a statement.
Qatar's beIN Sports had urged FIFA to take action after the broadcaster said its exclusive rights to show matches in the Middle East had been compromised by beoutQ.
Last month, Saudi Arabia said it has confiscated more than 12,000 pirating devices in the country.