Saudi Arabia says new Yemen missile intercepted

Saudi air defences on Tuesday (June 5th) intercepted a ballistic missile that targeted the western city of Yanbu after being fired from Houthi-held territory in neighbouring Yemen, AFP reported.

The missile fired at the coastal city did not cause any casualties, coalition spokesman Turki al-Maliki said in a statement released by the official Saudi Press Agency.

The Iran-backed Houthis have in recent months ramped up missile attacks against Saudi Arabia.

The latest strike comes as coalition-backed Yemeni forces advance on the Houthi-held Red Sea port of al-Hodeidah, the main conduit for humanitarian supplies into a country teetering on the brink of famine.

In late May, air defences intercepted Houthi missiles over the southern cities of Najran and Jizan, according to al-Maliki, who said there were no casualties.

Saudi Arabia earlier this month tested a new siren system for the capital Riyadh and the oil-rich Eastern Province, in a sign of the increasing threat posed by the Houthis' arms.

Riyadh accuses Iran of supplying the Houthis with ballistic missiles, a charge Iran denies.

Do you like this article?
0
0 COMMENT(S)
COMMENT POLICY