The UN expressed concern on Wednesday (January 31st) for more than 40,000 displaced Yemenis who had sought refuge in Aden but are caught amid ongoing fighting, AFP reported.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said it had been unable to distribute aid since southern separatists overran most of the city at the weekend.
"UNHCR emergency aid distributions and humanitarian assessments planned this week for vulnerable, displaced Yemenis have now been postponed and UNHCR humanitarian cargo remains at Aden port unable to be released," it said.
"We are also particularly concerned for those newly displaced in Aden who have fled other areas in Yemen. More than 40,000 people fled to Aden and nearby governorates since December, and we anticipate more displacement as people continue to flee from hostilities in the west coast," the agency added.
Save the Children said Tuesday it too had been forced to suspend its work in Aden out of fear for the safety of its staff.