Saudi downs 2 attack drones from Yemen: coalition
Saudi air defence forces on Monday (June 10th) intercepted two drones launched by the Iran-backed Houthis (Ansarallah) from neighbouring Yemen, AFP reported.
The drones targeted Khamis Mushait in the kingdom's south and caused no damage or casualties, the coalition said in a brief statement released early Tuesday by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA).
The Houthis said earlier via their news outlet Al-Masirah that they had targeted the King Khalid airbase near Khamis Mushait.
The attacks come as SPA reported the coalition was intensifying air raids on Houthi positions in the northern Yemeni province of Hajjah.
The Houthis have stepped up drone and missile attacks on the kingdom amid tensions between Iran and the US.
Last month, the Saudi air force shot down a bomb-laden drone deployed by the Houthis that targeted Jizan airport, close to the southern border with Yemen, the coalition said.
The airport is used by thousands of civilians every day, but the coalition reported no casualties and warned the Houthis of a strong response.