UN 'alarmed' over renewed Yemen violence after drone attack
The UN envoy to Yemen said he was "alarmed" over the escalation of violence after a Houthi drone attack on the country's largest airbase killed six pro-government soldiers, AFP reported Friday (January 11th).
Martin Griffiths on Thursday urged all parties to Yemen's protracted conflict to exercise restraint.
The Iran-backed Houthis (Ansarallah) said they carried out the strike, which hit a military parade at Al-Anad air base in Lahj province, north of Aden.
Six pro-government soldiers were killed and at least 12 people wounded, including top commanders, medics said.
The attack comes as the UN, which brokered several agreements between the Houthis and the Yemeni government at talks in Sweden last month, is desperately seeking to relaunch negotiations to end the conflict.
Griffiths said he was "alarmed" by Thursday’s escalation of violence.
He urged "all parties to the conflict to exercise restraint and refrain from further escalation" and to "create a conducive environment to maintain the positive momentum generated" in Sweden.