Egypt sentences 8 ISIS elements to death over attack
An Egyptian military court on Wednesday (November 7th) sentenced eight members of the "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria" (ISIS) to death in absentia for deadly attacks against the army in 2016, a military source said.
The court in Ismailia in the country's northeast also sentenced 32 people to life imprisonment -- a term of 25 years under Egyptian law -- while two others were given 15 years and two defendants were acquitted, in the same case.
The defendants were charged with attacking military personnel and checkpoints, the murder of 14 military personnel, and the attempted murder of 16 military personnel, Egypt's Ahram Online reported.
The court said those convicted used firearms, explosives and projectiles to carry out their attacks.
All were identified as members of the Egyptian branch of ISIS, which Egyptian forces have been battling in the peninsula and elsewhere as part of Operation Sinai 2018, which began in February this year.
More than 450 suspected extremists have been killed since the offensive began, the army said in October.
ISIS has killed hundreds of police, soldiers and civilians in recent years, and last week claimed responsibility for an attack against Egyptian Christians in Minya province, which killed six Copts and one Anglican.